This is the year of the kitchen. I want to learn new skills in the kitchen. These last couple of months (minus these last couple of weeks laid up in bed) I’ve really enjoyed cooking in the kitchen. I’ve enjoyed finding and making new recipes.
It’s so fun to expand the spices, oils and vinegars in my spice cabinet. Its fun to learn a new dish. I have even had to borrow some kitchen supplies (like an immersion blender and cast iron skillet) from my mom to make certain dishes. I’ve loved looking for new recipes and I’m starting not to resent meal planning on Sundays.
There are a lot of new things I want to learn how to make this year. Here are the things I want to learn in the kitchen over the next 11 months:
1. French macarons – These things are so good, but they can be pretty expensive at $2 or $3 a pop. I would love to learn how to make these well. I’ve found some recipes and I know there are a ton of videos on youtube.
2. Pho – This is my very favorite kind of soup to have when I’m feeling under the weather. I would love to learn how to make it at home. In the Kitchn cookbook, there is a recipe for beef pho and Andrea has one on her site for chicken pho.
3. Bake and Frost a Layer Cake – I know how to make cupcakes, but I have never made a layer cake. I would love to learn how to make a three or four layer cake, but I think I will start off with a two layer cake. I’m also going to have to learn how to frost the cake well. It would be fun to learn a few different frosting techniques.
4. Potstickers – I absolutely love potstickers, but one of our favorite places is a little expensive for all the potstickers we can eat. I think it would be really fun to learn how to make homemade potstickers of all definitely kinds.
5. Sushi – I’ve been wanting to learn how to make sushi for a while. We even got a sushi making kit as a wedding present, but still haven’t made any sushi. I’m so looking forward to learning this new skill. I think I’ve been afraid to make raw fish at home, but I found a Japanese market not too far away from us. I’m sure they have great fish.
I made a Pinterest board where I have put all the possible recipes I could make for all these new recipes. Check it out to see some of the recipes I’m interested in making.
Do you have anything that you would like to learn how to make in 2015? I would love to hear about it in the comments.