Last Sunday, I finished up 31 days of vlogging on my youtube channel. I participated in Savvy Sexy Social’s Vlog Every Day in August (SSSVEDA). It was definitely a challenge for me and I wanted to share what I have learned from these last 31 days of vlogging.
1. Vlogging every day is hard. At the beginning, I would record, edit, and upload the day the video was due. I was having a hard time doing this, due to failing uploads and an older mac computer that’s very slow. Also, I’m still recovering from back surgery and some days I just didn’t feel up to recording.
2. Record ahead of time. Instead of recording every day, I would record a few videos at a time. This gave me plenty of time to upload and not stress about getting my video up. Also, the last couple of days of SSSVEDA, I was out of town. So I didn’t want to be vlogging on my vacation.
3. Learn ahead of time. I wish I would have done some research and learned iMovie and more about recording on my camera. It was a huge learning curve I had to deal with. I wish I would have taken the time to learn a bit more.
4. Comment on other videos. I would have not gotten much out of this challenge, if I would have not found a community of people to watch and comment with. I am even meeting up with a few of the people I have met through SSSVEDA. It definitely would have been a different challenge if no one had watched or commented on my videos. That’s what helped me to know that commenting on others would also give them encouragement to keep going.
5. Start. I had heard about SSSVEDA, but wasn’t sure if I was going to participate at all. I’m so glad I did, and even if you’re unprepared you just have to start (which kind of contradicts #4). I was terrified about putting myself out there and now I have a youtube channel filled with 31 videos! If I wouldn’t have just started, this would have not happened.
6. Custom Thumbnail and End card. I learned how to make a custom thumbnail and end card using picmonkey.com. I even shared a video about making a custom thumbnail. It was really fun learning how to make those for my videos.
These are just a few of the things I’ve learned from participating in SSSVEDA. Check out the video below to see what I said on the “last” day of SSSVEDA.
Would you ever participate in something like VEDA?